“Turn a delicious holiday cheat into a protein powerhouse”
Oh that pumpkin spice that makes the holidays so nice…For me pumpkin pie is the cornerstone of every Thanksgiving. This year I had to try and turn a delicious holiday cheat into a protein powerhouse!
Nothing short of amazing, this vegan protein pumpkin pie would fool anyone into thinking they were enjoying a traditional slice of oh so sweet homemade pumpkin pie. Enjoy this recipe for a great way to enjoy the holidays without the guilt! (Printable recipe found below).
For me, the brand I use is pretty important. Here’s the basics for this recipe!
Pre-Heat the oven to 350F
Place your whole pumpkin on a pizza pan or cookie sheet and bake on the top rack for 1 hour. No oil needed!
Also, add your pie crust to the oven and cook for 15 mins. Remove. Set aside.
While your pumpkin is still hot go ahead and remove the stem, cut in half, and scoop out the seeds!
Once you have the seeds scooped out you can take a spoon and insert it under the pumpkin skin and begin to slide it between the pumpkin skin and pumpkin flesh. Continue to do this until all the skin is removed!
Then slice into chunks (like the image above) and place two heaping cups of pumpkin into a high speed blender. Blend on high until completely smooth.
Use the side measurements of the blender to make sure you have the right amount (2 C) of pumpkin puree!
Go ahead and add all the ingredients to your blender and the puree.
I always melt the butter so it blends evenly!
Before you blend all of the ingredients, go ahead and manually stir everything with a spoon to make it blend easily!
Once properly blended it should look like this! It’s time to pour the pie filling into your crust!
This is a common brand of pie crust I use!
Fill your pie crust with all the pie mixture and even out with a cake batter spoon.
Place your vegan protein pumpkin pie on a pizza pan and pop that sucker in the oven on the top rack! Cook for 45 mins – 50 mins.
Once your vegan protein pumpkin pie is done place it in the fridge or freezer until it is completely cold. DO NOT SKIP THIS PART. It is important to let it chill so the pie will “set.”
Once the pie has chilled you can slice it. YAY!
I like to caramelize maple pumpkin seeds and add them for a yummy topping! Also, throw a nice dollop of So Delicious Coco Whip to make this a masterpiece of flavor!
- 2 C Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 C Maple Syrup
- 1/2 C Pure Pea Protein (I use Powerootz Brand for creamiest one)
- 1/4 t Pink salt
- 1/2 t Cinnamon
- 2 t Pumpkin Pie Spice (I use Spice Hunter Brand)
- 1/2 C Non- Dairy Milk
- 1 t Vanilla Powder (Or sub 1 t extract)
- 1/4 C Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 C Coconut Sugar
- 2 T Earth Balance Vegan Butter (Or sub coconut oil)
- Pre-Made Pie Crust
- So Delicious coco whip
- Pecan Pieces (optional but def makes the pie awesome!)
- Pre Heat oven to 350F
- Place the whole pumpkin on a pizza pan or cookie sheet. Bake on the top rack for 1 hour. Also, bake the pie crust for 15 mins at the same time on the bottom rack and remove and set aside when done. Remove pumpkin from oven and cut out the stem. Slice the pumpkin in half and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Use the back of a metal spoon to slide between the pumpkin skin and pumpkin flesh until the entire pumpkin is peeled.
- Slice the pumpkin into 1/2" cubes. Measure out 2 Heaping cups of pumpkin and add them to a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until the pumpkin is a smooth puree. Use the measurements on the side of the blender o make sure you have 2 C of puree.
- Leave the puree in the blender and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir the mixture with a spoon first and then blend on high speed until a nice creamy filling is achieved.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked pie crust. Place in the oven on the top rack and back for 45-50 mins. Remove from oven and place the pie into a freezer or fridge to chill and set. Do not remove until it is completely cold.
- Once chilled you can remove the pie from the fridge and slice it into pieces. Sprinkle raw pecans or caramelized pumpkin seeds on the top of the pie before you remove any of the slices. Remove a slice and add a dollop of coco whip and serve!